Homemade No-Bake Protein Bars
There are hundreds of brands of different protein bars out there with various flavours. It’s one of these convenient snacks that curb hunger and provide your body with protein for muscle building and higher calorie burn. Most commercial protein bars are pretty costly to buy on a daily basis so making your own only seems like the smart thing to do!
This recipe is for no-bake protein bars but they will need at least a few hours of refrigeration (or overnight).
14oz / 400g Old Fashioned uncooked oatmeal
12oz / 340g peanut butter
8.5oz / 250ml coconut cream or milk
5 scoops whey vanilla protein powder
■ You can use coconut milk or any other type of milk – coconut cream works best, though;
■ Use whey Isolate if you are lactose intolerant;
■ Any other type of protein powder can be used too – keep in mind the changes in taste;
■ Nut butter is essential for this recipe. If you have a nut allergy, you can try replacing it with seed or coconut butter. Any other butter will do.
■ If you are not a fan of whey protein powders or you want to share them with your kids you can make the bars without it. Keep in mind that the flavouring and sweet(ish) taste comes from the powder so you’ll need to add some honey or a sweetener of your choice otherwise they will turn out tasteless.
The bars can be also individually frozen.
12 bars = 388 calories per bar | 24g protein each
16 bars = 288 calories per bar | 15g protein each
Step by Step
1. Open the the can of coconut cream drain away the clear liquid and pour cream into a large bowl. Wish until the mixture is smooth.
2. Add the vanilla whey protein powder and whisk until the mixture becomes smooth
3. Add the peanut butter and mix everything together
4. Add the uncooked oats and mix well
5. Flatten the dough in a dish lined with baking paper
6. Place the dish into the fridge and keep it there overnight. It’ll need minimum 2-3 hours to chill in a cold fridge if you need asap. Cut it into 12-16 bars or cut pieces off as you need them and as much as you need all week long. Keep it cool at all times.
Keep in mind: the flavour of the bars depends on what whey protein powder you are using. I am using vanilla so mine are vanilla flavoured. If you use organic unsweetened whey make sure to add some honey or other sweetener to the mix too. These have a very subtle taste but if you want it to taste more and less so adjust the dough for your preferences.
You can experiment with different flavours too. Add some raw cocoa to the mix or coconut peal to complement the coconut milk if you are a fan of its flavour like me. Although it’s not as easy as just buying the bar but it’s definitely cheaper and I for one like to know exactly what’s in my food.